Saturday, October 08, 2005

Family Member & Cancer

At around 9:00 am this morning, I received a phone call from my father. He rarely calls and I knew immediately there was cause for concern. He then proceeded to tell me how his surgery procedure (hernia) went yesterday. When they operated, they found another more serious problem; half of his stomach is black from the outside (something they normally only see internally)! They have taken a sample and sent it for testing…it could be cancer. He’s been complaining about ulcers for a long time, but they wouldn’t go away, he’s always had stomach problems without any signs of relief. Perhaps he will finally figure out what is wrong with him.

He should get the biopsy results next Friday; it may or may not affect the upcoming of my second show in November. Although my father was never played a big part in my life (he left my mother and I when I was 4, and would only see him once a year), in the past 6 years, we have been building a better relationship.

My father is a “workaholic”, so much so that he’s the only grandparent that still hasn’t seen his granddaughter that is now almost 2 and a half years old! Perhaps it’s the Lord’s way of telling him “Hey, you need to slow down and enjoy your family a little bit more”. It’s very upsetting to me that he still hasn’t seen her.
Anyway, my day is not going so good, I had planned on morning cardio but my plans changed when I received the phone call. During the entire conversation with my father, I was able to keep my composure together with a few moments of tears, but once I hung up that phone, I let it all out.

The timing is not the best, but when is the time right to receive bad news? Do I let it drag me down and throw the towel…NO! I can’t do that! I’ll keep trucking away with my diet and workouts…if I’m blessed with being able to do both shows, GREAT! Currently, all I know is that I’m definitely doing the Carolina Clash Show…I’ll still meticulously plan in competing in the Elite Show but if my father is diagnosed with cancer, my plans will be to go visit it him with my daughter.

He’s also in a terrible financial situation that would be way too long to get into…his past is catching up with him. He didn’t have an easy life, but a lot was due to him making the wrong decisions! He’s changed a lot and has come a long way, and for that, I’m grateful. I miss him a lot, haven’t seen him for over 3 years. I was trying to give him a chance to prove himself to me by putting forth the effort of coming to visit us in NC… that plan backed fired on me!

Anyway, I must get going now, got a few things to do around the house…I have highlight my hair, do my cardio, my leg workout, do laundry, personalized books, cook, etc. It’s constantly doing something, non-stop….in some ways, it’s good cause it keeps my mind busy and focused (I’m able to stick to my strict diet this way).

2 Comments:

Blogger Christie said...

I will pray that you and your family have the strength and courage given by Jesus to deal with whatever comes your way...hugs girl...
Christie

1:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Carole, i am so sorry.

It must be painful, even if you didnt have a strong relationship with him.

I can imagine how it feels to hear the first thing form your dad that he may have cancer. Oh Girl! Keep up, get courage.

Never let you go! And...support your dad, now he is in need. I know that maybe its hard because of what he did. But...after all he is your dad.

By the way, you look absolutely amazing in your red outfit. You will do great. Did you read in the past oxygen magazine issue that most women who win (in sports, including bodybuilding, fitness and figure) wore red clothing? Red suits, red shorts, red t-shirt.

It has something to do with a winning attitute. A winning mind. You are commited, you have made your decision that whatever happens you will win, and that shows up in your colors :-)

Keep up girl!

Nora (aka reese)

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home