Saturday, March 25, 2006

Gardening, anyone!?

Interesting title huh? *lol* Actually, I'm tackeling a new little learning project, VEGETABLE GARDENING!! Wahoo! I've never planted a thing in a my life so, this is going to be quite interesting.

My husband has just put together a permanent raised bed, measuring about 4' wide by 16' feet long, it runs along one side of my house. Sounds small but I'll be doing a thing called "Square Foot Gardening", where you plan your garden by "square foot" and depending on what you are planting, you can put "so many" vegetable per square foot, ie: 16 carrots, 16 radishs psf, 16 onions, 1 tomato plant, etc. I was so excited about this project UNTIL I discovered that my NEIGHBOR'S outdoor cat has decided to use it at a KITTY LITTER BOX! OOOOOOOH the frustration! Pregnant and Cat Poop don't get along (toxoplasmosis, if I'm spelling it correctly!).....Anyway, when I thought this was going to be a fairly not too pricey project is now doubling in cost since I have to make it so that my neighbor's cat doesn't use it! I had to purchase a Scarecrow Sprinkler (motion sensor), that thing was about $80.00. I also tried to trap the cat in a cage at night but he didn't get in it, so now I'm having to return the cat trap to the Animal Control shelter today... WHAT TO DO!?!? *lol* Me and my bright ideas! *LOL* Anyway, I'm going to go talk to my neighbor this morning and see if she can be "kind enough" to keep her cat indoor, I just don't have a good feeling about this. I don't talk to my neighbors since, I don't want to create any problems...but this time, I'm put in a situation where I have no choice to say something. If she doesn't fix the problem and her cat still comes in my yard to poop, I'm going to sling all of my dog's crap onto her porch and see how she likes it! HA! :-) One thing that works for me is that in the county that I live in, it's very much illegal for a pet owner to have their pet litter in someone else's property. The neighbor can catch the pet, bring it the the animal shelter, the owner will receive a call to come and pick up their pet and will get fined... with each offense the fine is more.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes with my first garden and the cat problem.

Anybody that has a garden, feel free to comment and share your tips and tricks !!!! I dont' have a green thumb! HA!

5 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

I always plant flowers in the spring but I haven't tried my hand at vegetables. I don't have much of a green thumb, but my mother did and I thought maybe it would rub off on me. I love the look of the flowers but they're so much work. Good luck!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Janel said...

I'm plantimg my veggies this week, I'll let you know how it goes. I just have regular thumbs too, and planting here is like trying to grow things planted in play-dough so we will have to see. :D

12:07 AM  
Blogger Stef said...

Russ always does our vegetable garden...I stay out of it. It is about 50'x100'. All summer he is out there watering and pulling weeds...about an hour several nights a week....way too much work!
But, he gets great tomatoes, green beans, peas, watermelon, canteloupe, and pumpkins.

Since I only do the flowers in the flowerbeds, I can't help you there.

Good luck!

Stef :-)

12:44 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Oh I am so jealous sounds like a fun project to be working on. I live in an apartment. And have my own cat problem. (ate me out of all my inside plants that i once had) CATS..

4:21 PM  
Blogger Carole Ingram said...

I talked to my neighbor on Saturday morning and told her about the small cat problem and pooping in my garden...thus far, no cat poop so I think she got the message! I'm still going to install the Scarecrow automatic sprinkler to scare away any dog/cat/bird that wants to get near my garden!

I think gardening is going to be quite interesting...

Teresa, you can do container gardening on your porch! *lol* Grow some lettuce out of a window box, tomato plant, peppers or bush cucumbers out of a 5 gallon bucket (not too nice looking but who cares! *lol*). There's a few things that you can still grow on your porch :) Worth exploring and will be a test drive for your green thumb until you can have a bigger garden.

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home