Friday, August 12, 2005

Be Flexible/Adapt for your Family!

Interesting topic isn’t it? Well, this is something that people neglect to think about sometime. When tackling a huge goal like “Competing”, a lot of time is invested in working out, cooking, planning, researching, practicing, etc. You have the determination of a tiger; however, your family members don’t have that same drive as you do. Understandably, there will be some confrontations and some explaining, which most of the time won’t always be understood. With this being said, you must be flexible and adapt! I read a quote a few days ago that goes like this: “"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” Yesterday, I did my weight lifting and went home. Most of my weight lifting workouts now-a-days last anywhere between one hour to an hour and a half, on top of that, I also have to do 4 cardio sessions a week for 30 minutes each…along with working a full time job, cooking separate meals for my myself and my family, being a mother, etc. To some people, it’s a lot of time invested in working out, which I completely understand their point of view. Sometimes, there will be some demands and requests. Can you be flexible and adapt?? There’s always multiple solutions to a problem, write down your solutions and discuss them with your partner and see where it takes you from there. You’re probably asking: “Why all this talk Carole?”….Well, long story short, yesterday, my husband, after a long day at work, wanted some “alone” time and at the same time, “I” wanted to do my 30 minute cardio session, since, I only had one session this week and I’m due for 3 more by Sunday! With this being said, I had to sacrifice my cardio session so he could have his “alone” time. We discussed this situation this morning, I pressed the importance of my workout schedule and he expressed his “envy” of my invested time into working out (which is sometime I love doing) and that he wanted the opportunity to have time to do what he loved doing as well, which I agreed. Although I strongly feel that my time is better spent then his *lol* (he plays games a lot, which to me, it’s a waste of time….and for him, working out is just a chore! HA!), I’ve directed him to plug is gaming system upstairs in our bedroom so that me and Cassandra could have the downstairs to ourselves, so that she can watch her movies (Winnie the Pooh), WHILE I do my cardio sessions…this won’t be the case all the time HOWEVER, there will be times where I will plop in a movie for her to watch while I do my cardio, otherwise, Daddy watches her while I work out. Family members can be supportive but they all have their limits, please be considerate of their feelings and desires! Accomplishments, trophies, awards, etc are all short-term, however, family is forever!!!!!! I’m not saying that you need to give up on your dreams and/or goals, but what I’m saying is “Be Flexible and Adapt…. This should be an enjoyable experience and not a struggle! Hugs, Carole.

4 Comments:

Blogger Christie said...

Such a smart woman Carole...very smart!!
Hugs
Christie

10:53 AM  
Blogger Marijayde said...

Wow - you were right, this is so much like the tread I started on tracker!

I have to remind myself daily to adapt - it sometimes is the hardest thing in the world!!

I think it is so great that you are a walking testimony that you don't have to give up your life to live it to its fullest. You adapt and make it your own and in the end you win it all.

Have a great day!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Stef said...

Carole~
I just made a small donation to your fund. How could I not??? I can't wait to get my 8x10 of you (hopefully autographed...) so when you are a pro figure/fitness competitor like Monica, I can tell everyone "I knew her when she was just starting out".

10:21 AM  
Blogger Carole Ingram said...

Stef: thanks sweetie! I greatly appreciate it!! :-)

When can we start voting for you? I took a look at the website and they already have 15 contestants?!? Dang, that's a lot! But you know what, not just saying this but your picture is the best!!!!

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home